Saturday, May 23, 2009

Attachment to sensual pleasure

This video has been viewed more than 1 million times after it has been posted to youku (China's video portal) and has receieved more than 3,000 comments. It shows a lady in Hongkong went berserk because she missed her favourite shark fin soup.



The lady : Where are the sharkfins?
The waiter : No more, totally sold out.
The lady : Impossible. I don't care, I want to eat sharkfins.
The waiter : please order other dishes.
The lady : I don't care, I don't understand why there are no more sharfins. There are so many fish in the sea.
The waiter : Order other dishes please.
The lady : Where do you hide all the sharkfins? I want to eat sharkfins.
The waiter : Please order other dishes.
The lady : Why other people are so selfish and leave nothing for me. I purposely come here to eat sharkfins! wooooooo.. I want to eat sharkfins! wooooooo ...I want to eat sharkfins!
The lady : I don't care. I purposely come here to eat sharkfins, please give me some. aaaaaah! I want to eat sharkfins! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I want to eat sharkfins....
..........
Many viewers commented that the lady was crazy.

In the second Noble Truth, the Buddha asked us to recognise that our attachment to sensual pleasure is dangerous to our happiness. He compared sensual pleasure with a bone with no meat thrown to a hungry dog. Though the dog gnaws at the bone for a long time, the bone never sastifies his hunger. On reflection, you may find that you are like that, too. No matter how much sensual pleasure you have, you're still hungry for more.

How many potatoes chips are enough? How many pieces of chocolates? How many video games must you play or novels must you read to fulfil your longing for such experiences? Sometimes people stay up and party all night until they pass out. Did they get enough? You can always think of some pleasurable things that you haven't yet tried.

How do you overcome craving for sensual pleasure ? Please click here to read the book "Eight mindful steps to happiness" by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.

No comments:

Post a Comment